The original park was designed in 1936 by Alfred Caldwell, who intended the pool to resemble a natural midwestern prairie pond. Mr. Caldwell designed the entire setting, comprised not only of a native prairie landscape, but also natural limestone paths, stone outcroppings, a “council ring”, a small waterfall and two wooden “pergolas”. The park had deteriorated over the years, and little was left of Caldwell’s masterful design. In 1999 Eifler & Associates collaborated with Wolff Landscape Architects to restore the small park. As architects, E & A restored the deteriorating Oak structures, and oversaw the fabrication of new wooden beams and supports to match Caldwell’s original design. The Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool is a Chicago and National Historic Landmark.