The conservatory was built in 1907, and designed by a collaboration of design professionals, including Hitchings & Co. (manufacturer), Schmidt, Garden & Martin, Architects, and Jens Jensen, Landscape Architect.
The Conservatory complex had fallen into disrepair. A failure of the heating system in the Aroid House created a call to action to not only restore the “room” but also to preserve and restore the conservatory as a whole. Eifler & Associates was retained by the Chicago Park District to create a long-term restoration plan as well as serve as architect for the rehabilitation of the Aroid House, Show House and Horticulture Hall.
The restoration work involved the cleaning and repainting of the steel structure, reconstruction of the historic cypress and copper glazing system, and reconstruction of the perimeter cypress windows. New lighting and mechanical systems were installed throughout the conservatory.