The Old Town Historic District in Chicago is a much sought-after residential enclave only minutes from downtown. An enterprising couple purchase two homes dating from the 1880’s with the intention of joining the homes into a single-family residence. The primary goal of the project was to undertake a complete restoration of the front facades of the two homes and connect them in a subtle manner, yet open the back of the buildings to a large yard and south exposure. The original interior elements had long been removed and the owners desired craft-like finishes, in keeping with artists such as Edgar Miller, Alfonso Iannelli, Sol Kogen and architect Andrew Rebori. The owners and architects acted as collaborators, more than architect and client, and the result is a very personal and intimate reflection of their approach to household design and furnishing.