The Garfield Park Conservatory
Chicago, Illinois

Designed by a noted team of architects, artists and landscape architects, the Garfield Park Conservatory was the largest of its kind when completed in 1907. Designed by Hitchings & Co., the conservatory contains one of the best preserved landscapes designed by one of the premier Midwestern landscape architects, Jens Jensen. The Garfield Park Conservatory once housed a number of furnishings designed by noted Chicago architecture firm of Schmidt, Garden and Martin, and rare Teco pottery that unfortunately has been lost over the years. The Conservatory also contains two marble statues executed by the famous Chicago Sculptor Lorado Taft, which remain to this day.

In 1993, Eifler & Associates was retained by the Chicago Park District to conduct a building condition assessment study, assist with reprogramming the use of the nine individual “houses” and make recommendations for the restoration of the Conservatory. Upon completion of the study, the firm was commissioned to rehabilitate three of the nine houses. Special attention was given to the restoration of the complex copper and cypress glazing system, which was modified slightly to accept laminated , low-e glass. The firm received a preservation award for the restoration of the Aroid House from the Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois and the American Institute of Architects.

The Brooks Building,   223 W Jackson Blvd.  Suite 1000,  Chicago, Illinois 60606        T 312.362.0180        F 312.362.0112