The Douglas Park Pergola
Chicago, Illinois

As part of the revitalization of Douglas Park, Eifler & Associates was retained by the Chicago Park District to replace the missing pergola that was part of its original design. Douglas Park, one of the original three parks of the Western Commission was charted in 1869, completed in 1879 and redesigned by the noted landscape architect Jens Jensen in 1906. The park was originally designed and engineered by William LeBaron Jenney.

The semi-circle pergola provides seating in the form of benches and shade from a trellis for park visitors. It is situated along a restored pool surrounded by plantings. Pre-cast concrete and cedar were used in construction to duplicate the materials used in the original construction. These improvements were rededicated in June 2001.

The Brooks Building,   223 W Jackson Blvd.  Suite 1000,  Chicago, Illinois 60606        T 312.362.0180        F 312.362.0112