The Thorne (Alexos) Residence
Lake Forest, Illinois

Designed in 1910 by the noted architect Edwin Hill Clark of Otis and Clark fame, the French style manor served as the summer residence of Mr. and Mrs. James Ward Thorne, a prominent Chicago couple. Descendents of the Montgomery Ward family, Mrs. Thorne is perhaps best known for the design and construction of dozens of miniature rooms which portray interior design through the ages, which are now on display at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Time was unkind to this once magnificent Lake Forest Estate. The south wing was demolished in the early 1930’s, and unsympathetic additions were built to the north of the house. Eifler & Associates were retained by the current owners of the property to not only rebuild the missing wing (right, above), restore the original stucco, shutters and exterior trim which was removed or altered over time, as well as a new kitchen, family room and coach house addition. The Thorne House has now reestablished itself as one of the great residences of Lake Forest.

The Brooks Building,   223 W Jackson Blvd.  Suite 1000,  Chicago, Illinois 60606        T 312.362.0180        F 312.362.0112